Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 13-10-2006, 21:36   #3
Benjamin
TBB Family

White House spokesman Tony Snow said that the United States had sought clarification on Sir Richard's comments. "We did call and say what did he say, and we received transcripts," he said.

"What he said is that the comment was taken out of context and his general point was that you know when your work is done you hand over authority to the Iraqis."

Mr Blair said he "suspected" Sir Richard had given a long interview with the Daily Mail, and that some of his comments had been taken out of context.
----------------------

TONY BLAIR
"If you read the transcript of the interview on the radio this morning and the television, he sets in proper context exactly what he was saying.

"What he is saying about wanting British forces out of Iraq is precisely the same as we are all saying.

"Our strategy is to withdraw from Iraq, when the job is done.

"We already are withdrawing from two provinces. We'll withdraw completely from Iraq as the Iraqi forces are able to handle their own security - in two provinces they are.

"In Basra they're not, which is why we will stay and get the job done."

LABOUR MP AND FORMER DEFENCE MINISTER DOUG HENDERSON
"I think it's a very strange thing for the chief of the army, the chief of general staff to say....

"I think he's clarified his remarks a bit this morning - but I find it very strange.

"Normally something as important as this would be cleared, certainly with ministers in the Ministry of Defence and I would imagine also with the prime minister's office so that there was a clear policy position.

"But I think the most alarming thing is that our troops on the ground will be pretty demoralised if they think they're still conducting what is a very dangerous operation while their generals believe that they should be withdrawn."

COLONEL BOB STEWART, FORMER COMMANDER OF UK FORCES
"He's most definitely not saying: 'Let's pull out now. Let's go'. He's not saying: 'Let's abandon the place'.

"We have got to win in Iraq, we have got to win in Afghanistan. We cannot abandon those countries...

"What he's asking for and demanding - and wanting to work towards - is a way where we can leave soon, where the security of the country is taken up perhaps by Middle Eastern countries for example, who don't seem to have much of a hand on it."

Geändert von Benjamin (13-10-2006 um 21:48 Uhr)
Benjamin ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten