Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 03-03-2012, 12:49   #46
Benjamin
TBB Family

Obama to Iran and Israel: 'As President of the United States, I Don't Bluff'
By Jeffrey Goldberg

Mar 2 2012, 7:00 AM ET1104

Dismissing a strategy of "containment," the president tells me it's "unacceptable" for the Islamic Republic to have a nuclear weapon.
Obama will argue that under his leadership, the United States "has Israel's back," and that he will order the U.S. military to destroy Iran's nuclear program if economic sanctions fail to compel Tehran to shelve its nuclear ambitions.
both Iran and Israel should take seriously the possibility of American action against Iran's nuclear facilities. "I think that the Israeli government recognizes that, as president of the United States, I don't bluff." He went on, "I also don't, as a matter of sound policy, go around advertising exactly what our intentions are. But I think both the Iranian and the Israeli governments recognize that when the United States says it is unacceptable for Iran to have a nuclear weapon, we mean what we say."
The president also said that Tehran's nuclear program would represent a "profound" national-security threat to the United States

"You're talking about the most volatile region in the world," he said. "It will not be tolerable to a number of states in that region for Iran to have a nuclear weapon and them not to have a nuclear weapon. Iran is known to sponsor terrorist organizations, so the threat of proliferation becomes that much more severe." He went on to say, "The dangers of an Iran getting nuclear weapons that then leads to a free-for-all in the Middle East is something that I think would be very dangerous for the world."
The president was most animated when talking about the chaotic arms race he fears would break out if Iran acquired a nuclear weapon,

Obama went to great lengths to caution Israel that a premature strike might inadvertently help Iran: "At a time when there is not a lot of sympathy for Iran and its only real ally, [Syria,] is on the ropes, do we want a distraction in which suddenly Iran can portray itself as a victim?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...-bluff/253875/
http://www.stern.de/politik/ausland/...g-1794800.html

Geändert von Benjamin (03-03-2012 um 13:11 Uhr)
Benjamin ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten