Zurück   Traderboersenboard > Allgemeiner Talk > Politik / Wissenschaft / Weltgeschehen

Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Alt 13-10-2006, 21:13   #1
Benjamin
TBB Family

Die Besetzung des Irak

12/10/06 - News section

Government stunned by Army chief's Iraq blast

A blistering assessment of British policy in Iraq from the country's top soldier left Tony Blair reeling today.

General Sir Richard Dannatt said troops should come home within two years - flatly contradicting the Prime Minister's policy that the military will stay "as long as it takes".

In unprecedented comments he warned that the Army could 'break' if British soldiers are kept too long in Iraq .

"I want an Army in five years time and 10 years time. Don't let's break it on this one. Let's keep an eye on time," he said.

Downing Street was aghast at the general's remarks, though in public it offered "full support".

His comments come after an exclusive interview with the Daily Mail, where Sir Richard warned that the continuing presence of British troops "exacerbates the security problems" in Iraq and added that a "moral and spiritual vacuum" has opened up in British society, which is allowing Muslim extremists to undermine "our accepted way of life."

The Chief of the General Staff believes that Christian values are under threat in Britain and that continuing to fight in Iraq will only make the situation worse.

His views have sent shockwaves through Government.

They are a total repudiation of the Prime Minister, who has repeatedly insisted that British presence in Iraq is morally right and has had no effect on our domestic security.

Sir Richard, who took up his post earlier this year, warned that "our presence in Iraq exacerbates" the "difficulties we are facing around the world."

He lambasts Tony Blair's desire to forge a "liberal democracy" in Iraq as a "naive" failure and he warns that "whatever consent we may have had in the first place" from the Iraqi people "has largely turned to intolerance."

In one of the most outspoken interviews ever given by a serving soldier, Sir Richard also reveals:

* He was "outraged" by reports of injured soldiers recouperating in hospital alongside civilians being confronted by anti-war campaigners who told them to remove their uniforms.

* He gave Defence Secretary Des Browne a dressing down about the "unaccepatble" treatment of injured soldiers, warning him that the government was in danger of breaking the "covenant" between a nation and its Army and should not "let the Army down."

* He understands why Prince William and Prince Harry want to serve on the frontline but has not yet decided whether they will be allowed to fight in Afghanistan.

But it is Sir Richard's views of the situation in Iraq that will enrage Downing Street.

He says clearly we shoud "get ourselves out sometime soon because our presence exacerbates the security problems."

"We are in a Muslim country and Muslims' views of foreigners in their country are quite clear."

As a foreigner, you can be welcomed by being invited in a country, but we weren't invited certainly by those in Iraq at the time.

"The military campaign we fought in 2003 effectively kicked the door in. Whatever consent we may have had in the first place, may have turned to tolerance and has largely turned to intolerance."

"That is a fact. I don't say that the difficulties we are experiencing round the world are caused by our presence in Iraq but undoubtedly our presence in Iraq exacerbates them."

In comments that set him at loggerheads with Mr Blair, Gen Dannatt warns that the good intentions of 2003 have long since evaporated - pitching British troops into a lethal battle that few at home can understand.

"I think history will show that the planning for what happened after the initial successful war fighting phase was poor, probably based more on optimism than sound planning," he said

"The original intention was that we put in place a liberal democracy that was an exemplar for the region, was pro West and might have a beneficial effect on the balance within the Middle East."

"That was the hope, whether that was a sensible or naﶥ hope history will judge. I don't think we are going to do that. I think we should aim for a lower ambition. "

The Prime Minister has repeatedly insisted that British troops must stay until the Iraqi security forces are able to take charge - a forlorn hope as the country has slipped to the brink of civil war.

Sir Richard warned that the consequences will be felt at home, where failure to support Christian values is allowing a predatory Islamist vision to take hold.

He said: "When I see the Islamist threat in this country I hope it doesn't make undue progress because there is a moral and spiritual vacuum in this country."

"Our society has always been embedded in Christian values; once you have pulled the anchor up there is a danger that our society moves with the prevailing wind."

"There is an element of the moral compass spinning. I think it is up to society to realise that is the situation we are in."

"We can't wish the Islamist challenge to our society away and I believe that the army both in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably wherever we go next, is fighting the foreign dimension of the challenge to our accepted way of life."

"We need to face up to the Islamist threat, to those who act in the name of Islam and in a perverted way try to impose Islam by force on societies that do not wish it."

"It is said that we live in a post Christian society. I think that is a great shame. The broader Judaic-Christian tradition has underpinned British society. It underpins the British army."

General Dannatt says he has "more optimism" that "we can get it right in Afghanistan."

But he condemned the treatment of injured British soldiers, who have been forced to share wards with civilians in Selly Oak hospital in Birmingham.

Sir Richard said he confronted Mr Browne about the "covenant" between a nation and its armed forces.

"I said to the Secretary of State the army wont let the nation down but I don't want the nation to let the army down."

"It is not acceptable for our casualties to be in mixed wards with civilians. I was outraged at the story of someone saying 'take your uniform off?. Our people need the privacy of recovering in a military environment - a soldier manning a machine gun in Basra loses consciousness when he is hit by a missile and next recovers consciousness in a hospital in the UK."

"He wants to wake up to familiar sights and sounds, he wants to see people in uniform. He doesn't want to be in a civilian environment."

He added: "I am going to stand up for what is right for the army. Honesty is what it is about. The truth will out. We have got to speak the truth."

Shadow Defence Secretary Liam Fox said: "When I was in Iraq, soldiers told me the same thing."

"They said the reaction had gone from welcome, to consent to mere tolerance and they said that this meant we didn't have an indefinite licence to be there."

"To have one of our senior military figures speaking out on behalf of those under his commenad is a refreshing change."

"General Dannatt is completely right to say that it's a scandal ro have injured servicemen on mixed wards with civilians."

Liberal Democrat Foreign Affairs spokesman Michael Moore said: "This is the frankest assessment we have had about Iraq. It illustrates that the government has no clear strategy."

The party's defence spokesman Nick Harvey added: "This drives a coach and horses through the government's foreign policy."
Benjamin ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 13-10-2006, 21:24   #2
Benjamin
TBB Family

Army chief defends Iraq comments
Sir Richard took on his role in August
Army chief on Iraq
The head of the British army has defended his comments that UK troops "exacerbate" security problems in Iraq and should withdraw "sometime soon".
General Sir Richard Dannatt said he backed "what is right for the Army" and denied a "chasm" with the government.

Downing Street said the general had Tony Blair's full support, and the Iraqi government wanted troops there.

A spokesman for the Iraqi president said the departure of multi-national troops now "would be a disaster".

'See this through'

In a Daily Mail interview, Sir Richard, who took on his role in August, said UK troops should "get ourselves out sometime soon because our presence exacerbates the security problems" .

I don't say that the difficulties we are experiencing round the world are caused by our presence in Iraq but undoubtedly our presence in Iraq exacerbates them

General Sir Richard Dannatt also said: "I don't say that the difficulties we are experiencing round the world are caused by our presence in Iraq but undoubtedly our presence in Iraq exacerbates them."

And he said planning for what happened after the initial successful war military offensive was "poor, probably based more on optimism than sound planning".

He later told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme that when he talked about pulling out of Iraq "sometime soon", he meant "then when the mission is substantially done we should leave ".

"We don't want to be there another two, three, four, five years. We've got to think about this in terms of a reasonable length of time."

He said the view that the presence of UK troops "exacerbates" the problems was "not right across the country", but in parts of it.

And he later said in a statement: "I'm a soldier - we don't do surrender, we don't pull down white flags. We will remain in southern Iraq until the job is done - we're going to see this through."

'Still needed'

Downing Street queried the way the chief of the general staff's original statements, in the Daily Mail, were presented.

A spokesman said Sir Richard was "actually saying what government policy is.

"We don't want to be there any longer than we have to, but ultimately that is a decision for the Iraqi government."

The spokesman for Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, Kamran Karadahi, said: "They are still needed very much to help Iraq. The British troops in the south have done a very good job and are still doing so."

He added: "We do not believe the presence of multi-national troops is really the reason for the violence. It is the insurgents, terrorists, al-Qaeda etcetera."

"We - the Iraqi government, the British, and the multi-national forces (MNF) have the shared goal of helping democracy to succeed in Iraq, and this is very important."

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said Britain had "a clear strategy" and worked with international partners "in support of the democratically elected government of Iraq, under a clear UN mandate".

The former Conservative Defence Secretary, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, said: "What he said was actually blindingly obvious and what the vast majority or people would also agree with".

Liberal Democrat leader, Sir Menzies Campbell, called such an intervention by a senior military figure "unprecedented" and said the government had an "overwhelming obligation" to listen to him.

Anti-war campaigners welcomed Sir Richard's comments.

Rose Gentle, whose soldier son was killed in Iraq, said: "I'm just really delighted that Sir Richard Dannatt has stood up and spoken out. He is protecting our boys."

There are currently more than 7,000 British soldiers in Iraq, based largely in Basra in the south of the country. Since the invasion in 2003, 119 British troops have been killed, most of them in southern Iraq.

---------------------
A chasm impossible to close?
Analysis

By Nick Assinder
Political correspondent, BBC News Website

Army chief General Sir Richard Dannatt claims there is not a cigarette paper's gap between him and Tony Blair over Iraq.
And, in comments following Sir Richard's controversial Daily Mail interview, it certainly appears that the two men are in complete agreement - as the prime minister insists.

However, neither has referred to the original remarks which sparked the row, and which Sir Richard later explained.

And it is that newspaper article which still represents a significant difference of emphasis, to say the least, from the prime minister's views on Iraq and its future.

Just imagine that Sir Richard's original comments had come from the prime minister. They would have been explosive.

Imagine the prime minister had suggested - no matter how obliquely - that British troops were exacerbating security problems in Iraq and elsewhere.

That their withdrawal should start sometime soon, that ambitions for the country's future should be lowered and that the invasion's political aims may have been naïve.

And that is what Sir Richard stated.
Had the prime minister put things as bluntly as that, it would have represented one of the greatest reversals in recent political history.

Long-term presence

Tony Blair and his defence secretary, Des Browne, continue to use very different language - suggesting the British presence in Iraq may last for years, that there will be no hint of withdrawal until the country can be handed over to Iraqi forces, at the country's request, and that the whole point of the exercise is to ensure the creation of a well-governed, democratic state.

So there is clearly more than a cigarette paper's gap here and, even in the light of Sir Richard's and Tony Blair's later apparent consensus, it is a chasm that will remain difficult to entirely close.

Opponents of the war have seized on the sections of Sir Richard's interviews which appear to support their demands for troop withdrawal, and the belief that the British presence in Iraq is exacerbating the security situation both there and elsewhere in the world.

The latter is a criticism that has been thrown at the government since before the invasion and which, it is regularly claimed, has since proved tragically accurate.

To have the man in charge of the Army apparently confirming the view is about the most powerful boost possible to those arguing it is time to start bringing the troops home.

Anti-war campaigner Reg Keys, for example, has welcomed the comments, has spoken of Sir Richard's integrity and courage in speaking his mind, and has repeated his own demand for an exit strategy from Iraq.

'Misrepresented'

And the prime minister appears to have been equally selective in the remarks from Sir Richard that he has highlighted as evidence of their agreement.

None of that, however, will do anything to diminish the impact of Sir Richard's Daily Mail interview, which has re-opened all the old wounds over Iraq - the issue that, as each day passes, seems more likely than ever to be Tony Blair's lasting legacy.

Demands for a detailed exit strategy will now grow.

Tony Blair has once again found himself being forced back onto the issue he has been attempting to draw a line under for months - most notably by hardly mentioning it in his final Labour conference speech.

And, perhaps, it will even add to the view that the only way there can be some sort of "closure" to this issue will be through a change of prime minister "sometime soon".

Geändert von Benjamin (13-10-2006 um 21:32 Uhr)
Alt 13-10-2006, 21:36   #3
Benjamin
TBB Family

White House spokesman Tony Snow said that the United States had sought clarification on Sir Richard's comments. "We did call and say what did he say, and we received transcripts," he said.

"What he said is that the comment was taken out of context and his general point was that you know when your work is done you hand over authority to the Iraqis."

Mr Blair said he "suspected" Sir Richard had given a long interview with the Daily Mail, and that some of his comments had been taken out of context.
----------------------

TONY BLAIR
"If you read the transcript of the interview on the radio this morning and the television, he sets in proper context exactly what he was saying.

"What he is saying about wanting British forces out of Iraq is precisely the same as we are all saying.

"Our strategy is to withdraw from Iraq, when the job is done.

"We already are withdrawing from two provinces. We'll withdraw completely from Iraq as the Iraqi forces are able to handle their own security - in two provinces they are.

"In Basra they're not, which is why we will stay and get the job done."

LABOUR MP AND FORMER DEFENCE MINISTER DOUG HENDERSON
"I think it's a very strange thing for the chief of the army, the chief of general staff to say....

"I think he's clarified his remarks a bit this morning - but I find it very strange.

"Normally something as important as this would be cleared, certainly with ministers in the Ministry of Defence and I would imagine also with the prime minister's office so that there was a clear policy position.

"But I think the most alarming thing is that our troops on the ground will be pretty demoralised if they think they're still conducting what is a very dangerous operation while their generals believe that they should be withdrawn."

COLONEL BOB STEWART, FORMER COMMANDER OF UK FORCES
"He's most definitely not saying: 'Let's pull out now. Let's go'. He's not saying: 'Let's abandon the place'.

"We have got to win in Iraq, we have got to win in Afghanistan. We cannot abandon those countries...

"What he's asking for and demanding - and wanting to work towards - is a way where we can leave soon, where the security of the country is taken up perhaps by Middle Eastern countries for example, who don't seem to have much of a hand on it."

Geändert von Benjamin (13-10-2006 um 21:48 Uhr)
Alt 21-10-2006, 11:23   #4
Auf Wunsch gelöscht
TBB Family

Benutzerbild von Auf Wunsch gelöscht

Exclamation Mahdi-Miliz erobert irakische Stadt

Im offenen Widerstand gegen die Regierung in Bagdad hat die schiitische Mahdi-Miliz die Herrschaft in der südirakischen Stadt Amara übernommen.

Anhänger des radikalen Predigers Muktada al Sadr stürmten laut Augenzeugen drei Polizeistationen und zündeten Sprengsätze, die die Gebäude in Schutt und Asche legten.

Strassensperren

In den Strassen von patrouillierten rund 800 schwarz gekleidete Milizionäre mit Kalaschnikow-Gewehren in Polizeifahrzeugen, wie Augenzeugen berichteten. Strassensperren wurden errichtet, die Einwohner wurden über Lautsprecher aufgefordert, in ihren Häusern zu bleiben.

Später zogen sich die Milizionäre wieder von den Strassen zurück. Ein Sprecher des Verteidigungsministeriums sprach von einer einstweiligen Feuerpause, doch bleibe die Lage gespannt.

Soldaten gehen in Stellung

Irakische Soldaten und Polizisten bezogen nach britischen Militärangaben rund um Amara Stellung, um die Stadt mit 750'000 Einwohnern zurückzuerobern. Ministerpräsident Nuri al-Maliki entsandte eine Delegation aus ranghohen Beamten des Innenministeriums.

Bei den Kämpfen um Amara kamen mindestens 25 Milizionäre und Polizisten ums Leben, wie die britischen Streitkräfte mitteilten.

Vergeltung für Mordanschlag

Auslöser der Kämpfe war ein Mordanschlag vom Mittwoch auf den Chef des polizeilichen Geheimdienstes der Provinz Maisan, deren Hauptstadt Amara ist. Kassim al Tamimi gehörte zur schiitischen Badr-Brigade, die mit den Anhängern Al Sadrs verfeindet ist.

Angehörige des Getöteten entführten zur Vergeltung den Bruder des örtlichen Kommandeurs der Mahdi-Miliz, die sie für die Tat verantwortlich machten. Am Donnerstag griffen deren Kämpfer deswegen die Polizeizentrale in Amara an.

Früher unter britischer Kontrolle

Die gut 300 Kilometer südöstlich von Bagdad gelegene Stadt am Tigris stand bis August unter der Aufsicht britischer Verbände, bevor die Kontrolle an die irakischen Sicherheitskräfte abgegeben wurde.
Alt 23-10-2006, 18:57   #5
Ramto
TBB Family

Benutzerbild von Ramto

Peter Scholl-Latour, den ich sehr schätze und fast unbedacht Glauben schenke, hatte mit nicht wenigen Sachverständigen vor dem Irak-Krieg gewarnt und alles das vorausgesagt, was in Folge geschehen ist und noch geschehen wird...
Die Amerikaner werden ohne Gesichtsverlust dort sich nicht absetzen können, so gerne sie es mittlerweile täten...
Dieser Sohn eines Vaters als Präsident!...

Obwohl...ich bin schon froh, dass Sadam seine Schuhe nicht mehr in Frankreich anfertigen lassen kann, oder wo auch immer - und seine zahlreichen Paläste nicht mehr ihn als Eigentümer haben. *R*

Lesezeichen